The Buckinghamshire Building Society was founded in 1907 in Chalfont
St Giles by a group of local businessmen. Originally called the Chalfont & District
Permanent Building Society, it was renamed the Buckinghamshire in
1961. In 1998 the original head office in Chalfont St Giles was totally
destroyed by fire, but was rebuilt later that year and an extension
was added in 2011. The Chalfont St Giles office is the only branch
operated by the Society. The Society now has approximately 11,000
savings customers and over 1,000 borrowers and assets grew to more
than £170m in 2011.
The Buckinghamshire Building Society is a Mutual Society, therefore owned by the Members. In common with all mutual societies, the Society has no shareholders to pay, so the emphasis is firmly on providing value to existing and new Members through competitive products in both the saving and borrowing sides of the business.
The Society recognises the importance of helping the local
community, and frequently supports local events, schools,
clubs and charities.
Continued growth is very important as it enables us to provide
a wider range of products and services to all our Members.