Cookies on the Bucks Building Society website

We use cookies to help provide you with the best possible online experience. By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Click here to find out more.

Savings FAQs

If you have a query about your savings account, one of these Frequently Asked Questions may give you the answer. If you have a question that isn’t on the list, you can ask one of our savings team directly by sending an email to or calling on 01494 879500.

Please do not email confidential account information as it may not be secure. You can log in to mybbs to set up a secure messaging service, if you prefer email communications.

  • Do you send statements?

    We usually send statements annually.

  • Do I need to send identification to open an account?

    Yes - you will need to send in two copies of documentary evidence that includes documents with your signature, which we keep on file to ensure we comply with rules to prevent any fraudulent activity on your account. You may provide normal photocopies of the documents as proof of your identity; we do not require these to be certified. Please do not send originals in the post. Different information is required for children, companies and charities.

    You can see a list of our identification requirements here

  • How can I withdraw my money?

    You can take money out of your account in cash at our branch, by cheque or by bank transfer. Branch cash limits apply to all withdrawals. You may withdraw £500 in one day or you can order up to £3,000 with 3 days notice from an easy access account. Amounts larger than £3,000 may not be withdrawn in cash and will need to be by cheque or bank transfer.

    There are different conditions and notice periods on our savings accounts and you should refer to your original terms and conditions, or on the website. 

    • Easy access accounts allow immediate withdrawals.
    • Accounts with notice periods require the full notice period to be given by written instruction, although immediate access is permitted subject to a penalty loss of interest normally equal to the number of days notice on the account.
    • Fixed term bonds do not permit withdrawals until the end of the term, unless it is a Fixed Rate ISA from which any withdrawals would be subject to a penalty. You would need to provide us with a written instruction.
    • Company, club and charity accounts do not permit cash withdrawals. Withdrawals must be by cheque to the organisation or by bank transfer to the organisation’s bank account.
    • Other types of account may have additional limits to withdrawals. These will be stated on the account page on this site or in the account leaflet.

    You must present your passbook / passcard to withdraw money from your account. If you post it to us, we will retain it until we send your cheque or bank transfer, then we will return it to you.

    Faster payment transfers are available up to £100,000 at no charge. Amounts over £100,000 will be sent either by 3 day payment at no charge, or next day by CHAPS for which we charge £25. If you are writing in to us, please indicate the transfer option you require and confirm your bank sort code and account number of where you would like the funds to be transferred to. This account must be in the name of the account holder (or Power of Attorney if applicable).

  • How can I pay money into my account?

    You can pay into your account with cash in person at our branch, by cheque or by bank transfer up to the maximum balance of the account. Please do not send cash by post as it could be lost.
    Cheques must be payable to the name of the account holder. If you wish to make a bank transfer, quote the following details:

    Sort Code: 20-01-72
    Account no: 20224448

    Reference: Quote the 10 digit account number in your passbook. Please do not include any dashes or spaces
    You can also set up a standing order to pay money in directly, using the information above.
    Please note that some of our accounts (mainly fixed term bonds) do not permit further investments once the issue has been closed.

  • Can I set up a direct debit?

    Sorry, but we are unable to accept direct debit payments into our savings accounts.

  • Can I set up a standing order?

    Yes. This is a great way to save a small amount each month and build up your savings. You can set up a standing order into your savings account provided the terms of the account permit this up to the maximum balance. We cannot accept standing order payments into fixed term bonds.
    You can contact us for a standing order form, or set it up with your bank quoting the following details:

    Sort Code: 20-01-72
    Account no: 20224448

    Reference: Quote the 10 digit account number in your passbook. Please do not include any dashes or spaces.

    If you would like to set up a standing order from your bank into your Society account you will need to quote the details as shown above and then send the form direct to your bank. Alternatively, for on-line customers - create the standing order on-line with your personal bank, remembering to quote your Bucks Building society account number in the reference field.

  • Can you give me my account information over the phone?

    Yes, provided you can answer our security questions. We cannot give information about another person’s account over the phone unless a specific signed mandate or Power of Attorney is in place. We cannot accept any transaction requests over the phone, but we are happy to answer your questions.

  • What do I do if I lose my passbook?

    Please inform us as soon as possible, on the phone is fine. We will send you out a lost passbook form for you to sign and return to us. We will cancel the lost passbook, which means that if you find it later, you will not be able to use it to make withdrawals, and you should send it to us so we can destroy it. This is for your own security. We will send you out a new passbook to use. If there are any security issues around the loss of the book or you are worried it could have been stolen, we will close your account and open a new one with a new account number to avoid anyone fraudulently taking your money out. We reserve the right to make a £10 charge for lost passbooks.

  • How do I change my address?

    Please let us know as soon as you change your address in writing. You can also inform us by secure messaging if you are set up on mybbs. We may need to ask you for identification including proof of your new address, if you have recently moved, as this may not show up on our electronic verification system. This is for your own security to avoid identity fraud.

  • Why can't I find my account on your website?

    This may be because the account you have is a closed issue, meaning it is no longer available to new customers. You can still find out the interest rate by looking at the relevant interest rates document in the Essential Information and Downloads section. 

  • What are the limits on ISAs?

    Annual limits for cash ISAs are set by HMRC; currently they are £20,000 for the tax year 6th April 2020 to 5th April 2021. Junior ISAs and Help to Buy: ISAs have different limits. See the relevant product pages for details.

  • How is the interest paid on a Cash ISA?

    Monthly interest cannot be compounded back into a cash ISA.

    Cash Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs) pay interest tax-free provided all terms and conditions of the account are met.

  • Can I pay monthly interest back into my Cash ISA?

    Monthly interest cannot be compounded back into a cash ISA.

  • How is my interest paid?

    We will not take tax off the interest you earn. It is your responsibility to declare any interest you earn over your personal savings allowance directly to HMRC. Since April 2016 basic rate taxpayers can earn up to £1,000 interest on savings tax free and higher rate taxpayers can earn up to £500 interest on savings tax free. Additional rate taxpayers will pay tax on all savings interest earned.
    Interest is paid either annually at 31st December or monthly according to the type of account.

    Note: A one year Bond pays interest on maturity. Longer term bonds will pay interest at 31st December and the final interest payment upon maturity.

  • What does AER mean?

    AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate and illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and added each year, and has been rounded to two decimal places.

  • What is Gross and Net Interest?

    Gross interest is the rate payable before the deduction of UK income tax, currently 20%. Net rates are not required to be quoted as we do not take tax off any interest we pay you.

  • How will I know if my interest rate has changed?

    When interest rates change we wlll publish the new rates, within three working days of the change, by placing notices in our branch and on our website.

    When interest rates reduce we will personally tell you about it at least 14 days before we make the change. Please refer to the ‘Savers General Terms and Conditions' for a more detailed explanation.

  • What is the maximum I can invest with the Society?

    Maximum investment for most personal accounts is £500,000. Maximum investment in Junior Saver accounts will depend on the terms of each account. Maximum investment for organisations depends on the terms of each account.

  • How do I inform you of a death?

    We understand that this will be a difficult time for you and we try to make the process as easy as possible. Please inform us in writing of the death and send us a certified copy of the death certificate. Depending on the balance in the account, we may also need a Grant of Probate and a copy of the Will. We will contact you to let you know what you need to provide to us.

    If you hold a joint account with the deceased person, the account will revert to your sole name. If you are the beneficiary of the deceased person’s money we will require you to provide identification ie: Valid Passport or Valid Photocard driving licence.
    If you do need to wait for Probate to be granted, you can pay any funeral expenses from the account in the meantime by sending us the original invoice.

    We will always deal sensitively with any other questions you may have. Please contact the savings department.

    Summary of Documents required:

    1. Original or certified copy of Death Certificate or original or certified copy of Grant of Probate
    2. Identification for each executor or personal representative (Passport or Driving Licence)
    3. Passbooks for each account
  • How do I inform you of a Power of Attorney in place?

    We understand that it can be stressful to deal with looking after someone else’s money and we will try to make the process as easy as possible for you.

    Your solicitor will be able to certify some copies of the Power of Attorney document and we ask that you send us one of these and any other information, such as address details and account numbers. We will electronically identify all attorneys named on the document, and ask for photo identification (Valid passport or valid driving licence for each attorney). If there are multiple attorneys named, please let us know which address to use for future correspondence on the customer’s account.

    You may find this guidance from the BBA useful, click here or alternatively you can contact the savings department if you have any other questions.

  • I would like to set up a new savings account with Power Of Attorney

    Once you have selected the savings account that you want download this form and complete and return with a certified copy of the Power of Attorney document and identification for the donor and the attorneys. See our information on Power of Attorney for more details.

  • What are your opening hours?

    We are open from 9.15am to 4.45pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
    On Wednesday we open at 9.45am due to staff training.
    We are open on Saturday from 9.15am to 12.00pm.

    We are closed on all English bank holidays, and may be closed on the Saturday where a public holiday surrounds a weekend, e.g. Easter and Christmas. Visit our Opening hours page.